Thursday 19 September 2013

Brown Rice Milk

I am lactose intolerant. I have been drinking soy milk, but want to cut down on this as I eat a lot of tofu. So I decided to make my own rice milk. This recipe is from the Internet (happyyolks.com) and it works, making about 1 litre of rice milk. For me, the only messy bit is the straining, pouring it in batches through the sieve.


Ingredients
>  3/4 cup brown rice, rinsed
>  3 cups of water
>  1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
>  Further 4 1/2 cups of water
>  Optional 1 Tbsp honey


Steps
1.  In a large saucepan, bring rice and 3 cups of water to a boil. 
2.  Cover the pan, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes.
3.  When the rice is soft, remove it from the heat and add 4 1/2 more cups of water, the vanilla essence, and optionally the honey.
4.  Stir, then let sit for an additional 45 minutes.
5.  Transfer the soaking rice and water to a blender or food processor to mix for 3-4 minutes.
6.  Strain through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth into a jar. I am clumsy, so I sieve the liquid twice.

Keeps for about 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment