Sunday 25 December 2011

Beetroot Salad


My cousin Rocha gave me this recipe. Nowadays it is so simple. Just buy the pre cooked and peeled beetroots, packed in a vacuum. The following quantity is for 1 packet of cooked beets.

I find that the stevia works better with the vinegar than sugar does; but that's just my preference.

Ingredients
 500 gm cooked and peeled beetroot.
 1 medium onion, thinly sliced in the same shape you slice the beetroot (I use shallots)
 3 bay leaves
 12 peppercorns
 ¼ cup natural vinegar (you can also use white wine vinegar)
 ½ cup boiled and cooled water
 2 Tbsp sugar (or stevia equivalent)
 Salt (if required)

Steps
1. If using the vacuum pack, open it and drink the beetroot liquid. It is delicious.
2. Thinly slice all the beetroots. If the beetroots are large, cut in half and then slice.
3. Thinly slice the onions, in the same shape as the beetroot.
4. Put into a bowl and add the bay leaves and peppercorns.
5. In a small cup, mix the vinegar, water and sugar.
6. Pour over the beetroot and onions.
7. Salt according to taste (I don't add any).
8. Put into the fridge to cool.

Goes well with any warm dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment